Friday, February 11, 2011

How did this even get From A to B?

(British accent, not posh) "...but oh my dear, saying you are afraid of his love is like a flower afraid of the sun. It shouldn't really be. Though it may be possible, the flower grows twisted and never truly blossoms in the way it should. For goodness sake woman and pardon my language but the bloody bastard may actually be perfect for you. You have been very self centered lately. I take it all back. You are not the beautiful flower...you are nothing but the shade!"

This is something I wrote a while back and at the time thought was sort of deep. Now I think it's silly, because it only sounded important to me, because I had imagined it in a English accent. Everything sounds better when spoken with an accent or good speaking voice for that matter). Seriously, doesn't matter where it's from or regardless of how it sounds. An accent automatically makes what is being said unfamiliar or cultured. (eg. I would pay Morgan freeman to read me the phone book.)

Maybe this is a juvenile way of thinking. Because it's similar to liking a song only because the singer has a good voice. This doesn't make the song bad, it just makes your appreciation for the almost depth less. I say almost because though the lyrics of a song may not be terribly clever, the overall feeling you get from the song may be very strong. To exception of some artists, this is what the majority of main stream music is about.

I typed mainstream into google image and I got a lot of hits about how mainstream music sucks. It doesn't suck. it's safe and marketable. It's for pleasant radio listening not always heart warming or self changing moments. I think it's funny that sometimes people listen to old music and do this because it's not mainstream. But the stupid thing is that the reason why those artists are still popular is because they were at one point mainstream.

I'm not really sure what I am going on about. I just believe music should be about liking it. Who cares if it's mainstream or straight edge. If it makes you feel something then it's probably worth listening too. For the most part people we hear on the radio are there because they have talent or are marketable. So suck it up and deal with it. If you don't like Justin Bieber than put in a Metallica CD to drain out that pre-teen voice sensation...

I may or may not go back to this rant but i think it's good for today.

No comments: